Search Axe reference works using the
"Reference Sources" tab above.
Dictionaries, Glossaries & Encyclopedic Sources
- Eric Weisstein's World of Chemistry, part of Eric Weisstein's World of Science
- Glossarist: Chemistry Glossaries and Chemistry Dictionries
- Online Chemistry Dictionary
- Virtual Library: Science: Chemistry: Chemical Dictionaries and EncyclopaediaList of many different chemical dictionaries and encyclopedias, such as Abbreviations of Chemical Compounds, Atmospheric Chemisrey Glossary, Chromatography Glossary, Organic Chemistry Encyclopedia and many other online sources.
- ChemExper Chemical Directory - Database of more than 100,000 chemicals and pharmaceuticals from suppliers in the USA and abroad.
- Chemistry Publishing Houses - A list of publishers of chemical literature and their web sites.
- Sheffield Chemdex - directory of chemistry web sites.
- Chemfinder.com - A portal of both free and subscription databases.
- The Chemical Database - A database on hazardous chemicals compiled by the Chemistry Dept. of the University of Akron. Information on 23,495 different chemicals.
- ChemIndustry.com - Database that assists in finding suppliers of chemicals, equipment, software and other business services.
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (NPG) - Index of Chemical Names
- NIST Chemistry WebBook - provides thermochemical, thermophysical, and ion energetics data compiled by NIST under the Standard Reference Data Program.
- Periodic Tables:
- ChemicalElements.com Periodic Table - Select table showing element name, atomic number, melting/boiling point, etc.
- WebElements Periodic table (professional edition)
- Periodic Table of ComicBooks - A great way to introduce kids to the Periodic Table! Each element link takes you to a list of comic book entries dealing with that element, those pages link out to the WebElements site.
- Visual Elements Periodic Table, from the Royal Society of Chemistry. Flash or html versions, the flash version offers one of the most visually interesting looks at the Periodic Table available. Short data summaries on each element, with html/pdf data sheets for each.
- Spectral Database for Organic Compounds (SDBS) is an integrated spectral database system for organic compounds, which includes 6 different types of spectra under a directory of the compounds.
- Green Chemistry Institute - part of the ACS, the Green Chemistry Institute's goal is to "prevent pollution through chemistry research and education."
Comprehensive Web Sites
- Chemistry Link Sites
- ChemSpy.com - is the top portal for chemical searching and chemical databases, offering a one-stop shop for chemistry professionals, including scientists, engineers, students and anyone else interested in finding chemical industry information.
- MeL Internet > Science & the Environment > Chemistry (Michigan eLibrary)
- Internet Public Library > Subject Collections > Science & Technology > Chemical Sciences (Chemistry)
- Open Directory Project: Science: Chemistry
- WWW Virtual Library: Links for Chemists
Chemistry Search Engines
- Google Scholar Advanced Search allows limiting searches to "Chemistry and Materials Science". Axe Library's "Article Linker" allows you to go from Google Scholar results to the full text of an article in many cases.
- National Digital Science Library (NDSL) - Digital library of 342 digital resources covering science, engineering, mathematics, and technology. Compendium of great variety of materials and for grade levels k-12, college, and postgraduate. Many sources aimed at educators. Ranges from an e-print archive, to full text journals, to abstracts of journal articles, to web sites. Provides alphabetical browsing.; a "Search" which will poll many search engines for science related materials and "NDSL at a Glance" for an interactive layout of all broad topics.
- Scirus: for scientific information only - Scirus searches over 200 million science-specific Web pages. Also offers a Scirus Advanced Search option that may be limited to searching in "Chemistry and Chemical Engineering".
- Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy - Biomedical journal. Available from 1995 to 6 months ago.
- e-Polymers - From the European Polymer Federation and the Dutch Polymer Institute. Available online from 2001 to the present.
- Free Full-Text Journals in Chemistry: Part A. Permanently available chemical journals - "See also: Part B. Trials and temporarily available chemical journals"
- Internet Journal of Pharmacology - a peer-reviewed journal from Wiley. Online archives from 2001 to the present.
- Internet Journal of Toxicology - one of over 60 scientific journals listed at ISPUB.COM (Internet Scientific Publications)
- Journal of Biochemistry - opened to public with full text since April 1st, 1996.
Technical & Government Reports
- DOE Information Bridge
- GPO Monthly Catalog
- NTIS (National Technical Information Service)
- Science Accelerator - combines three resources: The Department of Energy's Information Bridge of full text documents, The EPrint Network containing preprints in all science areas, and the Science Conference Proceedings, providing access to proceedings from over 20 science associations, some full text and some abstract only.
Career & Job Information
- Bio.com Career Center - Job listings posted from companies, recruiters and agencies located all over the United States.
- Chemjobs - Job listings from all over the United States posted by Chemical & Engineering News.
- Virtual Library: Science: Chemistry: Careers, Jobs and Employment - Numerous links to jobs in chemistry or the sciences.